I recently watched Alain de Botton’s Atheism 2.0 TED talk. Though I personally don’t agree with his beliefs, I watched this through the lens of business applications. He talks about his idea of Atheism that incorporates religious forms and traditions to satisfy our human need for connection, ritual and transcendence.
He identifies some compelling characteristics of organized religion that speak to some of our basic human needs. As an organization, entrepreneur, advocate, teacher or parent, I think you can use some of these tools to teach, ignite passion and connect with your audience, whoever it may be.
- Sermons – craft your messages/talks with the purpose of changing lives
- Repetition – use repetition as a tool to reinforce your message
- Calendar – setup specific times of the year where you promote an idea
- Speak Well – give attention to the quality of the delivery of your message
- Physical Actions – accompany your ideas with a physical action
- Art to Supports Ideas – use art and design to evoke emotion and communicate your ideas